Dry herb vaporizers are ideal for cannabis smokers who are starting in the world of vaping. In this article, we take a look at dry herb vaporizers, what they are, how they work and how to use them properly.
Do you want to vape marijuana? In that case, dry herb vaporizers are ideal. Unlike vaporizers for concentrates, dried herb vaporizers are designed to be used only with grass, allowing you to enjoy all the advantages that cannabis offers, but without smoke.
WHAT IS A DRY GRASS VAPORIZER?
Vaporizers work by heating and evaporating cannabis cannabinoids and terpenes, without combustion. As the name suggests, dry herb vaporizers are designed to vape buds and other plant matter. In contrast, “ordinary” vaporizers are usually designed to vape concentrates, such as wax, shatter, crumble or CO₂ extracts (in pen vaporizers).
HOW DO DRY GRASS VAPORIZERS WORK?
Vaporizers use heating by conduction and/or convection to convert terpenes and cannabinoids into steam.
Conduction vaporizers use heating elements to transfer heat to the grass, by direct contact. To better understand this process, think about when you fry an egg in the pan; the heat of the stove heats the pan, which in turn cooks the egg by direct contact.
In contrast, convection vaporizers work more like a convection oven, by circulating hot air around the grass. In this way, they heat cannabis gradually and evenly, allowing its compounds to evaporate without burning.
THE DIFFERENT COMPONENTS OF YOUR DRY GRASS VAPORIZER
• Battery: Most portable vaporizers are battery operated. Many modern vaporizers use lithium-ion batteries because they are rechargeable and offer high energy density, a lower self-discharge rate than Ni-Cd or NiMH batteries, and other advantages. The batteries of the vaporizers can be fixed or removable, depending on the model.
• Camera: the camera is the compartment where you put the grass. Older vaporizers had stainless steel chambers, but most modern appliances have ceramic chambers as they heat faster, retain heat better and do not alter the taste of the herb. Some vaporizer manufacturers are starting to use quartz chambers. Although they take a little longer to warm up, the quartz chambers are the best for preserving the natural flavor of marijuana.
• Mouthpiece: The mouthpiece is the part where you absorb the steam from the chamber with your mouth. Different vaporizers can have different types of nozzles, so it is important to take your time to find the one that works best for you. Cylindrical or conical mouthpieces are usually the most comfortable, but their length may make inhalation slightly difficult. Flat nozzles do not have this problem, but they can be a little less comfortable. To achieve maximum flavor, it is advisable to use a vaporizer with a glass nozzle, instead of a silicone or rubber nozzle.
HOW TO USE A DRY GRASS VAPORIZER
Using a dry herb vaporizer is quite simple. And, although each vaporizer is different, the following steps can be applied to most models.
1. Read the instruction manual: your vaporizer includes a manual for a reason. First, read it well to know the specific details of the brand and model of your vaporizer.
2. Charge the vaporizer: most vaporizers on the market come with a USB charger. To fully charge your vaporizer, connect it to a wall outlet instead of connecting it to the computer; In this way, it will recharge faster and extend the life of your lithium battery. The first 2-3 times you use the vaporizer, let the battery drain completely, to help you calibrate the battery and preserve its duration.
3. “Burning”: this step is not usually indicated in the instruction manuals, but it is very important as it helps to clean up any residue that may remain in the chamber as a result of the manufacturing or transport process. Once you have charged the vaporizer battery, make sure the camera is empty and remove any visible particles; Then, turn on the vaporizer and let it warm to maximum temperature. Repeat this process 2-3 times, to help burn and eliminate any residue that may be in the chamber.
4. Prepare your grass: large pieces of buds do not vaporize properly, so you have to grind the grass to a medium-fine size so that its outer surface is larger and more uniform. In this way, your vaporizer can produce better puffs, loaded with all the terpenes and cannabinoids you want.
5. Fill the chamber: for this step, it is better to follow the instructions included with your vaporizer. Remember that you should never overfill the chamber, as this may affect the proper functioning of your vaporizer.
6. Preheat your vaporizer: almost all vaporizers currently available in the market have a preheating function. Use this function to heat your device faster and ensure better vaporization.
7. Set the temperature: when your vaporizer has preheated, it is time to select the temperature. Some vaporizers have default temperature settings, while others offer a range of temperatures for you to choose from. You probably need to do several tests before finding the ideal temperature for you. Most people vape cannabis in a range between 170 and 220° C.
8. Inhale: when your device has reached the selected temperature, it is time to inhale. Take slow and consistent puffs of 3-5 seconds. Keep in mind that, by vaping, you get many more cannabinoids and terpenes from cannabis; therefore, it is advisable to take 1-2 puffs and wait a bit, to avoid getting too smoked soon.
TIPS FOR PERFECT VAPORIZATIONS
• Keep the vaporizer clean: clean your device after each session (you can use cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol) to keep it working properly and preserve its duration.
• Use well dried and cured grass: more sticky and slightly moist buds are more difficult to vape.
• Get a good grinder: a quality grinder is essential for good vaporization when crushing the herb with the perfect consistency.
• Discover your ideal vaping temperature: for this, start vaping at the lowest temperature (170 ° C) and gradually increase until you find a temperature that offers you full openwork, with the desired effects and the best possible flavor.
• When the device is fully charged, unplug it from the charger to protect battery life.